Thursday, October 8, 2009

Great Reads: Haitian Author Edwidge Danticat

Today, I had the pleasure to attend a recognition reception for Haitian author, Edwidge Danticat. I first learned of her work as a Freshman at Spelman in my African Diaspora and the World (ADW) course. Before then, I didn't know of any Haitian novelist. Her books really motivated me to learn more about my people specifically about the many stories of Haitian immigrants. She gives a voice to the voiceless; an advocacy tool that I long to use in my profession.


The ceremony consisted of the City of North Miami students reading excerpts from her many books. As elementary, middle, and high school students read her work I stared in amazement. How much I wished I had an Haitian author or public figure who I could look up to when I was their age. Someone who could make me proud of the lineage of boat people that I come from. But during those days we had no one, it wasn't until the Fugees came that first generation Haitian-Americans started to take pride in their culture. We started to tell people we were Haitian and we started to speak Creole in public.

One thing that was repeated throughout the ceremony was "We always knew you were genius, we just waited for others to recognize your genius." I was elated to attend this ceremony and even more elated because the students knew who and where Ms. Danticat comes from. She is a Haitian woman who, unlike what most right winged might believe, added so much to America. Years from now she will be recognized for telling the story of a people who risked their lives so that their children may have more.

No comments: