Saturday, November 7, 2009

the adventures of iamkamilah (dun-dun-dun-dun!)


Last night i was invited to a Carribbean Catwalk 2009. This fashion show featured Phelicia Dell's Ve've' line. Dell is a Haitian fashion designer. She is bursting on the scene with her cultural infused handbags. Check out her work here.


The show was at the Little Haiti Cultural Center. The runway was outside and the backdrop of Haitian paintings was gorg. 




The center is about 2 years olf and it's located in Miami's Little Haiti neighborhood. This was my first time at the Center, so before the show began (and you know it began 3 hours later -- cause that's how we do) I took a tour around the facilities. The Center is beautiful! And I am so excited that we have someplace that we can go to that celebrates us. I went to the Art Gallery and ya'll know I was drooling. I love cultural art - the colors, the stories they tell, always seem to have me on the verge of tears.

Check out two of my favorite pieces

These two pieces were created during an art movement called, Saint Soleil (sun).  This movement was initiated in the early '70's when peasents in a mountain community who had never painted before were given art materials in an on experiement spirituality, spontaneity, and art.  These are some of the results! 

But I will attempt to make a complete video to give you all the full experience! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, thats hot. LiL Haiti represent! The mural behind the runway is beautiful.