Monday, October 12, 2009

My hair is not nappy its THICK

My response to this youtube video.

At the 4:10 mark you say,

"People are really ignorant on natural hair, people look at natural hair as
being nappy. My hair is not nappy. It may look -- it's thick as heck but it is
not nappy!"

Let me premise this by saying that I am writing this in love. I don't know how old you are (as wisdom should come with age) but I do have a concern with this statement. The above quoted statement reflects your own ignorance. My question to you is what's wrong with black hair being nappy? Why did you feel the need to separate your hair texture from nappy hair? We all have our own complexes -- it's expected considering the world we live in and the images of beauty that are displayed but I hoped that you would be more conscious since you are on a natural journey (maybe I am assuming too much).

I absolutely love your hair. Before I clicked play and saw your still I was like she is rocking it. I felt quite a bit of sadness when you spoke about your experiences with others. But when you spoke these words,
"People are really ignorant on natural hair, people look at natural hair as
being nappy. My hair is not nappy. It may look -- it's thick as heck but it is
not nappy!"


It really disturbed me (to the fact that I had to call someone 2:30 in the morning to see if I was going overboard or reading into it too much). My hope is that we all become more responsible for not only ourselves but our community. And I don't want another black woman or child to be humiliated for the hair that God has given us. Think about what I've said. Maybe we can have some good conversation about it (iamkamilah@gmail.com )

Take Care.

No comments: