Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reality Check: Sorry Tyra, Your Hair Aint Natural . . .

it's CHEMICALLY PROCESSED!

When you declared September 8, National Real Hair Day I thought you were going to show your natural hair. I thought that I would see some texture. Girl, you walked onstage with wet hair. Black women know that wet hair, makes our hair look so silky straight and it creates an illusion of length. It disguises our real texture. Now, I ain't got no beef with relaxed chicks but Tyra YOU PLAYED US! And then you say you wanted to show young girls what real hair looked like. Oh Tyra! SMDH.

On Tyra's Show Blog she stated, "This season on
The Tyra Show we're taking it to the next level and getting more real than ever before by encouraging women everywhere to own and rock what they've got and be proud! For the Season 5 premiere, I will be doing just that - no fake hair, I'm rocking my REAL hair. This will all be going down on September 8, 2009, which we're declaring National Real Hair Day! We welcome everyone to go natural with me!"



Then she tweets, "Here's my REAL hair (b4 haircut). No wigs, no weaves, just me. told u I wasn't bald! Is it what ya'll expected?"



"Told u I wasn't bald!" What's wrong with being bald? Black women and the length issue. I'm tired.

On the brighter side, Tyra and her "Real Hair" stint has forced us to talk about what natural hair means. So many sisters have blogged about this issue, so I am happy that Tyra has caused us to really talk about what natural hair is. Maybe someday in the future we will see more black women in t.v sporting Afros and locks until then I guess we have a sistah on t.v that ain't sporting a lacefront or blonde tracks.

Shout out to Solange Knowles, girl you are killing them with the fade. Loves it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never notied how much Solange and Beyonce look alike...I know this blog is not about that but DANG!!

iamkamilah said...

Hey Aron!
I've seen your documentary on youtube before. Great Job. Unfortunately, I dont think that the hair industry will be taken back by black people in the near future. Black people have made their hair their life, very much to their detriment. We dont care about who it's coming from, as long as it's in our neighborhood and it'll make us look "pretty." To outsiders it may seem like an easy feat. But black hair is in so many ways connected to what we consider beauty. The topic of hair is so complex.
I totally agree with the Owner of Kizure, Lucky White. She suggested that black women to do the most drastic thing which was to cut off our hair. I totally think taking this stand would make a great impression on the market. I am natural woman who live in a neighborhood where Koreans and Middle Easterners own beauty stores, before I was natural going to these stores never felt right to me. Even today, when I buy product for my hair I would rather buy it online from a small black business. We've created this monster and now we must deal with it. I pray that black women will see the true beauty in their natural hair which will compel a boycott but this is all wishful thinking.