Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mission Possible: Natural Hair Transition

Taking the big step can be very frightening. Tons of questions race through your head.
What will people think of me?
Will I be able to get a job?
Will my boyfriend like it?
Although, I can't change the way people may perceive you because of your hair, I can give you tips of what yo expect and how to make the transition easy.

Here are two ways to transition to natural hair.
1) Cut off the relaxed hair. For some this is not an option. Many beginners say that this option is way too drastic. I understand, but I must admit this option is the best way because you don't have to worry about breakage, its easy to manage and most importantly, it forces you to become comfortable with it. When you do the big chop there really aren't many ways to hide it. This option is the the boldest way. Depending on the new growth you may be able to two strand twist it or comb twist it.

2) Braids/Extensions/Straw Set/Flat Twists/Crinkle Set/Twist Out. This option allows you to grow out your new growth to a desired length and then cutting off the relaxer. You then have a variety of ways to style your natural hair.

There you go, you have two choices, you can live with the permed hair at the end of the natural hair that is coming in or you can cut the permed hair off. If you are so adamant about having length be prepared for some breakage. The place where your natural hair meet your relaxed hair is a weak point so naturally your hair will break.

I've gone natural twice and I have used both methods. However I do prefer the big chop because my hair was so much more healthier. When I tried to go for length and left my relaxed ends, my hair was breaking like crazy.

Another way some people transition is by pressing their natural hair as it grows. I wouldn't advise this way because your hair is prone to major breakage and it can also damage the natural hair you are trying to grow. When I had natural loose hair (now I have locks) I would straighten my hair, and after I washed my hair, to get it back kinky, I would have straight parts. So this method can really damage your natural hair texture. This method doesn't make much sense because going natural is really about texture and hair pattern, but this method damages your natural hair pattern.

How did you transition? 

No comments: