Saturday, August 15, 2009

Stepping Out!

So I've decided to go out on a limb and invite facebook friends to become a part of the site. I must admit I was very hesitant. I went through 55 pages of friends and at the very end I was like -- all these folk don't need to know my business. I was about to just exit and forget about it. But I have learned to be brave and to do what my heart and mind think is right.

I know only a few people who I admire because they are so honest. Brutally honest. Transparent. I wish that one day I can be like that. I must say that just because someone is not honest and open with everyone does not mean that they are FAKE. I'm definitely not saying that! But what I am saying is that creating this blog has forced me to confront some issues I deal with on my own, in my head, late at night, in my bed, alone. It's very therapeutic.

For most of us we put those "huge steps" in the "I'll wait until I'm 50 box." Ya'll know what I mean. Those things that we think people will frown upon us for. Those things that we think people wont accept us for. For example, for years I have wanted to lock my hair. But I was so afraid of what people would say about me or better yet what I thought my hair said about me. I placed locking my hair in the "I'll wait until I'm 50 box." It wasn't until recently that I was like "Forget what everyone says, I love my hair in its natural state," (happy nappy) and I was ready to make that step forward.

I know it takes a lot to get to that point in your life where you are truly content with yourself and not concerned with other's opinions. Shoot it took me 7 years to make that big step. But I guess that advice that I have given others about accepting and loving yourself is to not get caught up in the process of change. Sometimes these processes of change holds you back. My theory although cliche is to JUST DO IT! And that's what I'm attempting to do here on my blog site. I'm putting all my fears and all the things people will say about me to the side and focusing on being true to myself and to you.

still chasing honey . . .

No comments: