Saturday, August 22, 2009

DIY: Loc Maintenance

Welcome to the first series of Do-It-Yourself! As you all know my hair is locked. I've had my hair like this for about 13 months. I love it! When I first started my locks I would go to a lady to get them done. She started my locks for $100 and she maintained them for $60. And back in those days I always wanted my hair twisted. So you could imagine how much money I was spending. But then I got smart -- I realized that I could do my own hair - or let my sister do it for the price of $FREE.99. And so that's what I have been doing. Take a look at my process . . .


1. Pre Wash:


My hair was a hot mess. Summer in Miami = pools and beaches. Literally some weeks I would be in the pool 7 days straight. But I am trying something new. I want to (don't hold me accountable if I don't) retwist quarterly. So every 3 months I want to retwist my hair. Why? Well locks get thin if twisted to much, twisting puts stress on the root and it can lead to breakage. You've seen those people with short locks, especially around the edges. Well I'm trying to not get there.

2. Post Wash


Aww clean hair. My wash routine simple - shampoo. I use Aveda.


3. Things I Use


a. Carol's Daughters' Loc Butter
b. Water -- to keep my hair wet
c. Metal Clips
d. Rubber Bands -- to keep my hair in place

4. Twisting Begins


5.Four hours later: Twisting Finished


6. Locks Styled

Hope you enjoyed!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Patricia The Bomb!!!!! Where your shop at? I'm coming on Wednesday.

iamkamilah. said...

we dont know you like that. you know it's gonna be a charge. pay up!