Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fasting Lesson 2: You can't have everything

I don't know why I feel like my sight and sound seem more clear.  The bible says that God communes with us during our time of fasting.  So I thank God for sending people my way to teach me life lessons. 

I've always heard the saying "You can't have everything!" and I believed in its words but to a smaller degree.  About some weeks ago I was talking to a co-worker who kept saying, "You can't have everything!"  She is in her late 40's married without children.  She wanted children but because she married late in age she was unable to have any.  She said she could have easily laid up with someone to have a baby but that was totally against who she was.  Although she always dreamt of a husband and children she never had a chance to experience it.  From the conversation I knew that there was a hidden sadness but she had to move on and appreciate what she does have.

I thought about my life and the things I want to have now and in the future.  I want to have an excellent career, I want a certain someone to be my husband, I want some children, I want my family to live forever, I want to be a millionaire, I want to be a size _, I want a Range Rover, I want bigger breasts, I want some tattoos, I want a nose piercing, I want to own property domestically as well as internationally, I want to open a shoe store, I want a damn soda with some jerk chicken!  And I want it all for you too.  But the reality is I CAN'T have it all,  You can't have it all,  No one can. 

We read these articles about rich people committing suicide or some actress who jumps from relationship to relationship searching for something but always falling short.  So it doesn't matter how much money you have or how pretty you are, you'll never have everything you want. Money can buy a lot of stuff but it can't buy everything. 

I am learning to be content with what I have and appreciating the people in my life and the little that I have.  I appreciate my job (as hood as it is), my family (they all crazy but I swear to you I have the best family in the world), my car (that I've had for 8 years -- it hasn't fialed me yet), my itty bitty titties (no back problems and I can go without a bra), my room at my parents house (rent free, dinner every night), my singledom (knowing that I can live without a man, I can still survive if I don't get married), and my water and fish (i ain't dead yet).

still chasing honey

No comments: