Monday, February 22, 2010

And so it begins . . .

Today marks Day 1 of my 40 day of Prayer and Fasting. 

I am doing the Daniel Fast.  Thus, I am only eating fruit, vegtables, and water.



“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”
Daniel 10:2, 3

Lent is a period of fasting and penitence (self-examination and repentance) during which observers have historically eaten sparingly.

It is a form of emulation of Jesus' example in His 40-day Fast in the wilderness of Judaea in preparation for his public ministry.


You can use the time to pray for your personal ministry, your family, or whatever you feel led to pray for.

One way to observe Lent is to "deny yourself" in some way regarding food and drink (a "partial fast" of eating less than usual, or temporarily "giving up" desserts, meat, a meal, or whatever you may choose) and to replace this with extra time devoted to prayer and Bible reading/study, or the reading of a Christian book. 

And so it begins, fighting my daily temptations of oreos and vanilla ice cream.  But I am determined to make this work, I truly believe that engaging in this sacrifice will reveal great things to me.

1 comment:

ChocolateOrchid said...

I admire you for your commitment to this fast. I pray for your continued strength during this time.