Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Are The Rolling Stones Racist?

While doing some unrelated research, I guess it was related, I stumbled on a song entitled Sweet Black Angel by the The Rolling Stones (TRS)- you know Mick Jagger, yea one of the tose old ass English all boy bands.  So I stumble upon this song and I decide to listen to it.  The words are kinda indiscernible so I look up the lyrics and listen to the song.  I'm reading the lyrics and was like "oh hell naw!"

so the little researcher in me decide to further investigate the song.  The song they say is dedicated to Angela Davis, so supposedly, she is the sweet little angel they are referring to.  yea, i could have walked away from this information and accept it but i couldn't i had to dig deeper. 

Apparantely TRS has another song called Brown Sugar which opened them to charges of celebrating slavery and rape of black women.  So I'm not sure how much of an honest tribute Sweet Black Angel is to Angela Davis considering their history. 

Just found out about another song called Some Girls where one of the most offensive lines is a about black women. 
French girls they want Cartier, Italian girls want cars

American girls want everything in the world you can possibly imagine

English girls they're so prissy, I can't stand them on the telephone

Sometimes I take the receiver off the hook, I don't want them to ever call at all

White girls they're pretty funny, sometimes they drive me mad

Black girls just wanna get fucked all night, I just don't have that much jam

Chinese girls are so gentle, they're really such a tease

You never know quite what they're cookin', inside those silky sleeves
 
I'm not a fan of TRS, are you?  Maybe someone who is a fan can bring a better perspective.  What do you think?  How do you rationalize Hip Hop music that is often misogynistic and sexist?  Or do you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What if all the Black girls they met did just want to get fucked all night long? - I can hear the pseudo-colorblind skeptic say now.

Never was a fan of TRS, and now I can see why nobody I know, old or young, is either. Just more over-sexualization of the Black woman to add to the media onslaught. And like you said the same thing happens in Hip-hop a lot. So much so that when people who have little to no connection to Black women see them the first thing that comes to mind is sex and booty shaking. TRS probably never had any "Black girls" to reference. And even if they did, the lyrics are intentionally malicious. They were a big rock band, all of the drunk/high groupies after their shows probably wanted to "fuck all night." And I'm sure 99% of them were White. I mean, but what do you expect from these clowns?