Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Poet Saul Williams on the Morehouse Dress Code

Alumnus, Saul Williams responds to the Morehouse Dress Code.

As an artist and alumnus of the historically Black male institution, Morehouse College, I was dismayed, 'though not surprised, to learn of their recent decision to ban cross-dressing on their campus, along with do-rags, sagging pants, and headwear (grills?), as part of its new "dress code."


Morehouse is a private institution that has worked tirelessly at uplifting the image and esteem of African-American men for generations and thus has every right to enforce the codes of conduct and expression that it sees as beneficial to its student body, yet its conservative/traditionalist ideology is sometimes at odds with the progressive awareness that it would seemingly hope to instill, or even more importantly, nurture in its students. Furthermore, its stride to maintain a highbrow mystique seems to lie solely in its preparation of young men to enter the Fortune 500 or some ministerial fellowship, with little and waning interests in the arts or the importance of creative expression.

My first day at Morehouse was the last day I combed my hair. I couldn't wait to twist and lock what my father had insisted I comb, while sleeping in his house. I knew that my time away from church and home was especially suited to be just that: My time. And I planned to use it wisely to express and explore all that I was on the verge of discovering. Here was where I 'd be given the space and, perhaps, the inspiration to question aspects of my upbringing, harness new disciplines, pursue my passions, and, quite simply, mature. I didn't find it particularly bothersome when, during that first week, my freshman brothers and I were told, "Morehouse men do not wear locks," that I'd have to cut my hair to sing in their prestigious Glee Club (this about the same time that my father told me I should cut my hair to be in my sister's wedding), and that, although I would declare myself a philosophy and drama major at Morehouse, I would have to take all of my drama classes at another historically Black institution, Spelman College, across the street, because Morehouse (although it offered the major in its course book) had no drama department of its own.

Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha!! He showed up with a skirt on. Test the limits. I love it! I think the point is that people are going to do what they want to do eventually. So Morehouse can try and try again to restrict dress but it will only lose in the end at attempting to achieve the unachievable. I think Saul Williams makes good points about the connection between the curbing of freedom of expression and Morehouse's tendency to shy away from the promotion and cultivation of the arts. The College will change in time though as the progressive alumni start to come back claim its rightful place within the administration. It must be known that Morehouse is extremely conservative but there are progressive voice/forces at the college. Unfortunately, the most conservative folk hold the higher positions in the school's administration. Hopefully as time goes on we can build up the progressive and liberal voices on the campus in administrative roles that have impact on student life and Morehouse's image.