Monday, November 9, 2009

I Have A Secret (Don't Judge Me)


Last week I used up my last bottle of deodorant.  What's the big deal you ask.  Well, I dont EVER plan on buying another one.  Yep! I'm giving up the Secret, Spirit, Dove, all of it.  Plain and simple no more deodorant.




I made up my mind that I was through with these aluminum smell goods. "Aluminum-based compounds are used as the active ingredient in antiperspirants. These compounds form a temporary plug within the sweat duct that stops the flow of sweat to the skin's surface." That's so not healthy when you think about it.  Our body naturally releases toxins.  But when we use deodorants with aluminum we clog our sweat ducts, thereby keeping the toxins within.  And imagine when we shave our underarms -- we are applying aluminum directly onto broken skin and leaving it there.  This can't possibly be good. Although there is no solid evidence that links deodorant to breast cancer, many believe that there is. I'm not totally convinced of this fact, but I am sure that the least amount of chemicals I put on and into my body the better.  That's why I decided to take this first step and go natural.

So I had to think of an alternative. I thought about buying organic/natural deodorant but the more research I did, the more this one around the house product popped up.  It's something we all have in our refrigerator. 

Yep, baking soda. 

We do put baking soda in our refrigerators to eliminate odor.  So why can't it be useful to prevent body odor?

I put 1/4 of baking soda in an empty spray bottle and I filled the rest with water.  Each time I use it I shake it up and then spray on.  I have been using it for about a week now and it works.  Everyone has access to baking soda and water. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

~still chasing honey

3 comments:

MissBrandiss said...

I think I will try this out of curiosity! So it works to combat smells, but what about sweating??

Unknown said...

I know you rep MIA and all. And that Miami is warm damn near year round. But Miami November is different than Miami July. Are you telling me that a baking soda spray bottle is gonna be enough in the middle of the summer? And how does it look when it dries? Its not anything you could add for fragrance? I don't wanna walk around smelling like baking soda or talcum powder. LoL!

iamkamilah said...

@Brandiss -- they claim baking soda absorbs sweat as well but I still sweat. I don't sweat as bad as I would without the baking soda but of course it's doesn't stop sweat as store brand deodorants. I'm okay with it though, i much prefer sweat coming out than staying in.

@Glory -- your body adjusts (when you start you have tons of unrealeased toxins so at first you are hella sweaty but this should change after you discontinue them) so i would suggest to start during the colder months. When the summer months come by (i have been told by my sister who uses natural deodorant) her body adjusted. when it dries its white but it doesnt stain clothes unlike deodorants. You can add fragrance -- i will be creating deodorant with Rosemary(Essential Oil) soon. But baking soda is odorless, you dont smell it when its on. Trust me. But look out for my homemade deodorant -- keep all of your empty deodorant bottles, we are going to use them!