Thursday, November 12, 2009

Great Read: Elie Mystal - It’s Been a Year Since Obama Ended Racism in America

One year ago, Barack Obama was elected President of the United States, effectively ending racism in America. As an African-American, I can say this has been an awesome year. Since Obama’s victory, the prejudices and mistrust built up over four hundred years of racial oppression has seemed to vanish. Nobody ever questions my credentials or intellect anymore. I get along fabulously with police officers. And Obama even won a Nobel Peace Prize which allowed the entire country to feel proud about our leader.
Sorry, my sarcasm meter goes up to 11.

Still, one year into Obama’s administration, racial tensions in America are certainly playing out differently. I’m not sure if things are better, but I suppose it could have been worse. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of Obama’s post-racial America.
Continue

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hilarious. Thanks for the post. I love the part about Obama not being that cool. LoL! Though I don't think pointing to the fact that you cave in and buy your daughters a puppy is a good point to use to claim a man is "puss whupped," even if it is one of many points. Anyways, I think the First Lady is the person who really makes about pretty cool. You gotta be at least kinda alright to keep a dope lady like that.