Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mission Possible (MP): Naturally Professional Vol.


Meet Beth! My Spelman Sister and a fellow attorney. Her natural hair story is pretty cool. Check it out!

Hometown-Benton Harbor, Michigan
Current town-Hapeville, Georgia
Age-26

1. How long have you been natural? This time I've only been natural for about four months. I previously was natural Jan. '01-Fall '03 and during law school ('05-'07). This time is for good :)


 
2. What method did you use to go natural? (big chop, braids, grow hair out, etc.) This time I cut off all the perm about 1 month ago. I am currently wearing braids/two strand twists until my hair grows to the desired length. The previous times I continued to press my hair for months until my natural hair was the desired length. I think it's much better to just cut it off shortly after going natural.



3. Why did you decide to go natural? I decided to go natural this time because I never wanted to go back to perms the first two times!! I was told by a white female judge during my internship in Summer '07 that I needed to straighten my hair if I wanted to get a job as a lawyer. At that time I was wearing it pulled back in a 'fro ponytail. Although I didn't necessarily agree with her, I was afraid that she may have been right. Therefore I went back to a perm. Now that I am a practicing lawyer I have decided that if someone can't deal with my hair then I don't need to work for them, or be in their courtroom. Since making my decision I have heard many people tell me not to do it, but I am happier when my hair is natural and if they can't deal with it...tough :)


4. What's your hair regiment (what product do you use to wash, treat, and style your hair)? Currently with the braids I am not using a whole lot of product. I use the African BRX braid spray and Pantene Natural/Relaxed Brand of products (for women of color). I plan to go to Urbanbella in Buckhead/Atlanta once I reach my desired length.


5. Any advice for those thinking about going natural or transies (those in transition)? My only advice is do what makes you happy. Stop trying to please everyone else!


6. Comments? I think the blog is a great idea. I've gotten a lot of negative feedback in the legal community for my choice. I don't know if that's across the board. I think law is the last field that hasn't "gotten with the times." I have friends in the business and medical communities who haven't heard as much negativity...but they still get it.

No comments: