Monday, October 5, 2009

Great Reads: Essence Article -- Mother Knows Best: Why I Choose Not to Live With My 10-Year-Old Son

Interesting article about a mom's decision to let her son live with her divorced husband in another city.

"My ex-husband and I met in college. We are both native New Yorkers attending the University of Maryland, College Park. Even after he transferred to a university in Long Island, New York, we stayed together. We dated for ten years total and then he proposed. We got married and a child, our son, Adam, was born during that union.

We ended up divorcing after two years of marriage. We were both young when we first got together and eventually grew apart. Shortly after we officially divorced, my ex-husband decided to relocate to Atlanta and I stayed in New York. And when my ex left he took our son with him.

Since our breakup was so amicable, it wasn't really a need for much long discussion early on. We just sorta said, "We'll figure it out as we go." It wasn't like some judge said, "You'll have him for summers and you'll have him during Christmas and spring breaks."It's not like that at all. My ex-husband and I have a great relationship and share joint custody of Adam. It's very open and fair. There were several factors that lead me to make this decision. . ."

Entire Article

Would you allow your son/daughter to live with your divorced husband/wife in another city?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a guy who was raised by a single mother. I feel that sons/boys need men to raise them. But to be more specific, boys need Good men to raise them. Which means that the man may not necessarily be the father, but could be a uncle, cousin, brother, grandfather, coach, teacher, mentor, preacher, neighbor, role model, or any combination of those. But I say the first preference for me is the father. I believe the mother-son relationship is special and necessary, but it is undeniably distinct from the father-son relationship/bond which can not be replaced. The absence of that relationship/bond has resounding impact on young men, even those we consider "good" or "successful," for the duration of their lives.

iamkamilah said...

i totally agree with you. although hard for a mother to do, my son's growth and development as a young man would compel me to make the same choice as she did.