Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Do You Pre-Poo?

I hate SHAMPOO.  I have always had a distaste for the way it left my hair.  But I continued to use shampoo because I thought that the way it left my hair was normal.  In my head a wash should strip everything (dirt, oils, etc.) from your hair. Right? Wrong.Your hair does not have to feel like that.  Thank God for research!  Yes, I am a little late to the game but I have learned that this harsh shampooing process can be rectified.  For years I thought that the ONLY first step to cleaning your hair was the shampoo process.  It wasn't until quite recently that I was introduced to the concept of a pre-poo (pre-shampoo). 

The number one way we know our hair is dirty is when we develop an itch on our scalp.  It's never your hair that's the bother.  That is because the majority of the dirt and buildup is on our scalp.  Thus the shampoo process is really for our scalp.  Our hair can do with just the conditioning process since this is not where majority of the dirt lies.  A pre-poo is done to protect our hair from the harsh shampooing process.

During a pre-poo you would apply oils/conditioners unto the hair and/or scalp, leave it in for a period of time, and then shampoo it out.  (Your hair needs to be dry, rememeber this is before you actually wash/wet your hair.) Thus the pre-poo process will act as a barrier between your hair and the harsh chemicals in shampoos. 

You can use any combo of your fav oils and/or conditions. 

Some people do an overnight pre-poo treatment  (apply oils/conditioners), and shampoo out the next day.  I personally don't like the overnight pre-poo because the hair is too limp and other times its way to brittle which leads to breakage.  But some people love doing their pre-poo this way.   

Some people do the pre-poo treatment, put a wet towel over the hair and then put on a plastic cap.  Leave it on for a period of time (30 mins to 1 hour).  Good time do do some chores, run some errands, or even give yourself a mani/pedi. 

Some people do the pre-poo treatment, put on a plastic cap, and sit under a dryer for 20 minutes or so.  The heat opens your pores and allows your hair to absorb the product.  I like doing it this way. 

Try it out, let me know how you like it and which process you use.

No comments: